Reruns
I loved Little House on the Prairie as a child. However, I have a confession: I was in love with the TV Series
, * not the books.
My sister and I watched the reruns every day after school.
My sister and I watched the reruns every day after school.
It was always the same. Mom
would be ironing in the laundry room, and we’d smuggle Twinkies in from the
kitchen. We’d sit together on our tweedy brown and gold couch, riveted to the
screen.
Our favorite
episode was when Nellie pretended to need a wheelchair, then [spoiler alert] Laura
pushed her down the hill into the pond, and Nellie stood up and walked out.
After that, whenever the opening theme song played and showed that hill, my sister and I would race each other to say “there’s where Nellie fell down!”
After that, whenever the opening theme song played and showed that hill, my sister and I would race each other to say “there’s where Nellie fell down!”
Little House books
Even though I
devoured books as a kid, I never read Little House On the Prairie. When I taught fifth grade I had
the whole series on my classroom bookshelf, and nobody ever read those either.
On our most
recent family road trip, I brought along a library audio book of On the Banks of Plum Creek
I hadn’t
been sure they’d be able to follow it, and we did need to stop and explain a
few things, but overall they did fine. One of our
favorite picture books had set the stage for them.
Nora’s Chicks
Like our audio book, Nora's Chicks
by Patricia
MacLachlan, takes place in horse-and-wagon days on the Great Plains. Unlike my
favorite Little House episode, it is
about friendship rather than rivalry.
The Story Begins
Nora, with her parents and baby brother, emigrates from Russia to a farm on the American prairie. Nora misses her familiar Russian landscape, and, most of all, she misses having friends nearby.
She appeals
to her father, and he brings home ten chicks and two geese for Nora. He allows
her to keep them as pets.
Our Favorite Parts
Nora names each chick, and there is a two-page spread showing each bird labeled with its name. Incidentally, my daughters love pointing at each chick and trying to read out its name.
My girls’
favorite part of the story, though, is when the chicks follow the family to
church one Sunday, and the minister, standing before the congregation, says, “…welcome
to Nora’s chicks.” For some reason this just cracks my kids up – preschool humor
I guess.
Anyway,
after Nora returns home, she discovers that a chick is missing. A girl on a
neighboring farm brings it back to her, and Nora finally finds friendship.Why I Love It
Except for the church-crashing chickens, Nora's Chicks isn't meant to be funny. Rather, it is gently serious and emotionally open. The writing is spare yet compelling. Illustrator Kathryn Brown’s watercolors have the golden cast of prairie grasslands and feature lovely details.
This book is a welcome break from the modern world, and I
have enjoyed each of the hundred times I've read it aloud.
Teacher Talk
Details in Nora’s Chicks give little kids a sense
of what a prairie is, how people traveled before they had cars, and how rural
families sustained themselves.
Laying A Foundation
It is the perfect introduction to a lifetime of
reading other excellent books with similar settings, from MacLachlan’s own Newberry
Medal-winning novel Sarah, Plain and Tall
,
to the Little House on the Prairie
series, and on up to Willa Cather’s My Antonia
in high school or college.
In teacher
jargon, this type of background knowledge is called cognitive schema. Kids can more easily understand what they’re
reading when they already have schema in place.
Conversely, if you read a book that has a wildly unfamiliar setting, then your brain can be too busy attending to understanding the new setting to be able to pay attention to other elements of the story.
Brain Wiring
The neurons in our brains actually grow new connections to each other when we're exposed to new things. That's why it's easier to understand a book on the second (or tenth!) reading - our brains have already run the wiring to process the information.Conversely, if you read a book that has a wildly unfamiliar setting, then your brain can be too busy attending to understanding the new setting to be able to pay attention to other elements of the story.
Nora's Chicks
is a delightful way to introduce your little ones to a bit of American history.
* (All links in this post are Amazon affiliate links. This makes it convenient for you to see what I'm talking about. If you make a purchase, Amazon will pay me a small fee, which helps support this blog.)
* (All links in this post are Amazon affiliate links. This makes it convenient for you to see what I'm talking about. If you make a purchase, Amazon will pay me a small fee, which helps support this blog.)





I adore Little House on the Prairie, but sadly, my oldest has no interest in the books. I hope someday we will be able to share them as a family. (Hopping over as part of the kid lit blog hop.)
ReplyDeleteI hope your child grows into it. My husband and I enjoyed it as much as the kids. Maybe you could try other books in the genre... or not -- sometimes just waiting a year makes all the difference, don't you think?
DeleteHi Heather, thanks for stopping by my blog earlier today. I'm happy to be here with you, too! I love this post. We were lucky to have three readers (now all very grown up) and it made all subjects in school easier to understand. Reading is such an important foundation! Glad you were on the Kid Lit Blog Hop. Hope to see you there again soon!
ReplyDeleteFun post, Heather! Thanks for sharing thoughts. Stopping by from the Kid Lit Blog Hop.
ReplyDeleteI found your post on Thoughtful Thursdays Linkup. I was expecting it to be more about the brain. With a developmentally delayed stepson, neuro-development and neuro-plasticity is particularly of interest to me. I appreciate your book recommendations. Happy Easter!
ReplyDeleteHi Meredith, I'm sorry you were disappointed. I have been second guessing that title ever since I hit Publish. I WISH I were qualified to write about neuro-development and neuro-plasticity. There is a neurological component to cognitive schema which I briefly touched on in the article, but I don't know how it applies to developmental delays. I would guess that you need more repetitions presented in multi-sensory ways -- but you probably already know that.
DeleteHappy Easter to you too.!
I also loved Little House on The Prairie, but never read the books. Didn't even think of introducing them to my daughter when she was younger! You brought back some great memories :)
ReplyDeleteInteresting post! Thanks for linking up at the Thoughtful Spot Weekly Blog Hop! We hope you join us again next week!
ReplyDelete